Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Vintage Thursday Thingie: Botanical Print

I purchased this beautiful print in a shop in Pennsylvania...
and had it framed about twenty years ago.




It has been on the wall in our bedroom ever since ( and that's through three moves!).

This is a simple print of an engraving by Pierre Joseph Redoute (1759-1840). He was a wonderful botanical painter and illustrator and his patrons included Marie Antoinette and later Josephine (wife of Napolean). He worked at the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle (the Natural History Museum) in Paris and also traveled to England to the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew to study. It was in England that he learned the color stipple engraving technique that he later perfected.

His botanical drawings are still loved today. In fact, you can even get a cross stitch chart for the Cumberland Rose here.

To see more vintage treasures, visit Coloradolady. I know you'll just love what everyone is sharing today.

18 comments:

LV said...

You were smart in getting this print. It looks great the way you framed it and using.

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

What a beautiful print. I love the colors. ~~Sherry~~

Olive said...

I love your rose print. I have journal of his prints. Thanks bunches for visiting me. olive♥

Anonymous said...

What a pretty print, Miri. We have two that are very similar. We've had them for a long time, too and enjoyed looking at them over and over.

Coloradolady said...

Lovely print. I love roses and this is right up my alley!! Have a great VTT!

Postcardy said...

Prints like that are so much more interesting when you know their history.

GardenOfDaisies said...

I really love botanical illustration! Think Margaret Mee or Mary Cicely Barker or even Beatrix Potter. Just lovely!

April D said...

this is so pretty--love that you've used it the same way through three moves!

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Oh I love it, I have always like this his art work. you are fortunate to have such a great piece!
I really enjoy VTT, its such a great way to visit everyone!
Terry

Susan said...

A few years back I found a set of Redoute's roses online and downloaded them. I admire his work. What a pretty piece to have framed. Thanks for the history, too, something I never did was read about the man.

Michelle said...

So delicate! What an interesting history.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

That's a lovely print, I adore botanical prints!

Happy VTT,
Sally

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Beautiful print!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful print. I love how you always know the history behind your finds.

Roslyn said...

love botanical prints I have several.They are so soft and organic, very "feng shui" LOL.

Micki said...

The print is beautiful. How neat that you got it from my home state of PA.
Micki

Sandi (Meme) said...

Love the roses! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment on my tablescape and story. I am your newest follower, so come back and see me again sometime! Sandi

Paulette said...

I am always drawn to botanical prints when I see them. Yours is very nice!

I've given you a Versatile Blogger Award, Miri! Check it out here: http://thewayisewit.blogspot.com/2010/08/all-about-versatility.html