Monday, November 30, 2009

Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Inspired by Karen's hand quilting and Eileen's posts about the wedding ring she's working on, I decided it was time to take this big block Double Wedding Ring Quilt out of the closet and get working on it.

I drafted the pattern a few years ago after seeing my friend Teresa's vintage wedding ring quilt-I had always intended to trace the pattern from her quilt but never did. ( They were transferred and so I lost my chance :) I loved the big rings and thought it would be easy to sew such gentle curves.
I was right. The quilt top went together quickly and easily...once all the fabric was marked and cut with scissors!

I finally decided on the quilting patterns and I hope you can see one here! I've marked about half of the quilt so far but then had to put it away as I got busy cooking and baking for Thanksgiving!
Here's the pattern for the "melon" pieces. This is an adaptation from a vintage Mountain Mist border pattern...I like the idea of echoing the rings in the quilting-the square to me represents the home!



You're probably wondering already about the fabrics used: part vintage and part reproduction.

Here you can see some more fabrics-on the top left arc the first two are vintage, next two reproduction, next vintage, last is a red dotted swiss that while a new fabric is timeless. The vintage fabrics range from feedsacks from the 30s and 40s to dress cottons from the 1950s and 60s .


I'm planning on marking some more tomorrow: DH will be playing bridge and I'll use the big dining room table, put on some country music and mark away!

BTW has anyone else had trouble uploading pictures to blogger? I tried at least six times starting yesterday and finally I was able to load the pictures one at a time and even then one timed out and I had to start that one over again!


23 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the patterns you have drawn on the quilt where the quilting will be! Glad to have inspired you :)
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Eileen said...

Oh how PRETTY!! This of course is my favorite combination of fabrics for a double wedding ring. And I do know the Mountain Mist pattern you are talking about.. I have that one too. Your quilting is going to be gorgeous. It looks like you have a lot of white space to work with inside the melons. I hardly have an inch.. so I'm wondering what I'll end up doing. My rings are much smaller I believe. How big is your quilt top?

Miri said...

The quilt top is 90" x 90"! A nice double bed size-the big rings mean that there are only 4 rings across!

Debbie said...

Your DWR is looking great, Miri! I have the arcs for one someplace, probably in the back of a cabinet. One day I will get to it. I did use up some of them already on two wall hangings. BTW, I had no trouble a all with photos and blogger when I posted this morning.

Bea said...

I love the fabrics! And, the quilting design is just perfect. I have to load one picture at a time, all the time. Some days I get very frustrated with Blogger. :)Bea

Heather said...

that's looking wonderful.

Julia said...

It's beautiful Miri..I love the fabrics you chose.The quilting will be perfect on this.
I made a DWR quilt for our 40th anniversary 8 yrs ago...I have just brought it out for the summer months.

Mim said...

Your quilts are gorgeous -

your name caught my eye, Miri is the nickname that my family uses - I think it's such a pretty name - glad to see it used

KimP said...

Hi Miri, thanks for commenting on my DWRQ - yours is absolutely awesome! I LOVE the vintage fabrics and the reproductions. I'm highly impressed with you being able to trace off the pattern from an existing quilt. I'm enjoying looking at Eileen's DWRQ also!

Barb said...

wow...it looks wonderful...love the fabrics too.

antique quilter said...

absolutely beautiful
oh yes I would mix the two together as well
my 30's 40's tumbler quilt I need to sew together has vintage fabric in it too!
will be fun to hand quilt and see all those fabrics
have fun quilting it.
Kathie

annemariesquilt said...

Your new quilt looks awesome Miri and a lot of work I know...
A DWR quilt is something I never could do because I am too impacient..

Rose Marie said...

As long as my fabrics look good together, I love to do a mix. Makes it more interesting. Will you be hand quilting this one? Interesting design you are marking.

Carrie P. said...

Your quilt is so pretty. It is going to be great when you get it quilted. Have fun.

Riley said...

This is a total beauty in the making, I must follow & admire!

May I ask what size the blocks are considered? I am not sure where you measure a DWR, as in what point to point?

FABULOUS job!

Rambler

CC said...

I love,love your quilt. It's gorgeous and I also love the way your quilting will be. What an amazing job you've done with this beauty.

viridian said...

I collect repro prints or least keep up with the patterns, so I can recognize your repor fabrics, and the ones that aren't!

Roslyn said...

Miri you have done a beautiful job on this DWR a quilt I will NEVER make. I began one a long time ago, made half a dozen blocks & quit.
Good for you it's divine!

julieQ said...

It is so beautiful! The double wedding ring pattern is a bucket list quilt for me!

Martha said...

Love your Double Wedding Ring. I always think it's nice to add some real vintage fabric. It gives the quilt a much more authentic look -- especially if you add a few "ugly" patterns that current fabric companies would never reproduce.

Your fabric choices are wonderful, and I really like the quilting pattern. You're inspiring me to pull out my DWR which I haven't worked on in ages.

aina said...

i have seen many type of ring style but i love mostly diamond ring because it attract me mostly.

Vintage Rings
http://www.vintageyard.com/rings

Riley said...

Thank you for answering my questions, that is most kind of you & I appreciate you doing so with the explanation.

Akanksha said...

I always love to wear diffrent stlye ring. Thank youf or sharing it. I love it.
Vintage Brooches