Saturday, February 7, 2009

B & W Log Cabin quilt and embroideries

I've finished sewing all the blocks for the log cabin quilt...now its time to think about the setting. I've had an idea in my head from the beginning to use sashing (like I did with the vintage log cabin quilt blocks). I like this-its bright, I can see a pattern formed by the log cabin blocks and yet each block stands out a little separately too.


Here are the same blocks without the sashing...just a bit duller and ...more ordinary, I think.


Here are two of the embroidery blocks from my embroidered summer spread which ended up being a duvet cover. These are from my vintage Aunt Martha's -I used the Pharaoh's daughter's maid and not the whole block. I love her "look". This is one of the first blocks I embroidered-at first I was going to use just one color floss but by the time I got to the grass on this block I changed my mind-so its blue with green and blue grass!

I've been thinking about it-I think she's a Pixie!


4 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Hi Miri, I'm not a quilter so I won't even attempt to tell you want to do, but I love the look with the sash (is that what it's called?)the red seperating the blocks just give it that special pop...
I like your needle work too.
Thanks for sharing...

Eileen said...

I do like the sashing.. you are right.. it gives the log cabin a whole new look!

And yep.. she's a pixie! Very very cute! Love that grass.

Susan said...

Miri, I LOVE how the b&w quilt came together. I see a pinwheel in it. You've been busy.

Your little pixie is cute in blue and the little bit of green is nice. I like to embroider in blue, in fact, my maids were going to be blue but I switched to red. Maybe I'll do a set in blue too. Pharoah's daughter's maid looks art deco, that is cool to take out one element and use it like that.

Neabear said...

That pixie is cute! I like the quilt with the sashing too. Looking great. Wow!