Thursday, December 4, 2008

Vintage Thursday Thingie:Elegant Aluminum Candlesticks





These aluminum (yes, aluminum!) candlesticks were made by the Wendell August Forge in Pennsylvania. I had never seen aluminum used this way before I got these.(mostly just as pots and pans!) I am now on the lookout-I would love a bud vase :)


I love the design, especially of the candleholder part-it looks like a curled leaf. The floral pattern on the dish part is raised as you can just see in the pix. They are quite small, about 2 1/4" tall and the dishes are 4" across.


In 1928, James McCausland became the chief designer at the Wendell August Forge which had opened in 1923 . By 1929 he was already working with hand wrought aluminum. By 1932, the first known catalog for Wendell August featuring items such as these candlesticks was produced. I don't know when these were actually made-there is no date on the bottom but stylically I think they are from the 1930s.


Wendell August Forge is still in business and they still have aluminum pieces but nothing like this: mainly commorative plaques and plates for businesses.


For more Vintage Thursday treasures, visit Coloradolady.



8 comments:

Coloradolady said...

What a treasure. The flowers are so wonderful, I believe they are dogwoods. I have never seen anything made out of aluminum excepts pots and a pitcher and glasses. Loved this. Very unique. I will have to look around a bit and see if I spot anything like this at the antique malls.

CC said...

Oh..your candleholders are so beautiful. I love the pretty flowers. They're just wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Well, I learned something new to look for when I'm walking through thrift & antique stores! I love your candleholders.

Susan said...

I love the color of the aluminum, very pretty.

Amy said...

I love those candlesticks! Do you use them? I would...

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Those are so pretty!
My mom in law would love your site, she's an avid quilter in Colorado. At 83, she's still winning awards, giving classes, and belongs to several quilting guilds.
She made us a corgi quilt.

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

These are so lovely and unique! If you check out the antique malls you may find all kinds of lovely serving platters and trays made from hammered and embossed aluminum. They come in many shapes and sizes and are usually reasonably priced. I am always attracted to them!
Enjoyed!
Blessings to You!
Claudia O.

Unknown said...

These are great, they are so delicate they could almost be bud vases.